Tuesday, April 6, 2010

NaPoWriMo #6 - Converse with Images

Today's prompt was to write a poem based off of an image and the memories associated with it...

Back then

I still remember
standing with you in front of the camera
with our chubby cheeks and jack-o-lantern smiles
giving each other bunny ears like it was an Olympic sport.
Me, in my garish fuschia leggings
that only a child could wear and not be embarrassed.
You, in a hand-me-down shirt from our older neighbor.

I still remember
what it felt like when the world was small.
Back then, my favorite animal was the t-rex,
and you played the trombone.
Back then, we collected Pokémon cards,
even though we didn't know what to do with them.

Back then, I still understood you.

4 comments:

  1. I like this alot.

    Bunny ears as an olympic sport and favourite animal being the t-rex, hah, that's really sweet.

    I think the t-rex is still my favourite animal, though... is that okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Yup, definitely okay. My new favorite is a dragon, so it's not REALLY that big of a change. :p Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed hearing about "back then" so much, I wanted it to go on longer before it ended.
    Beautifully said, beautifully sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Pappa Doc. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I would have liked for the "Back then" to last a bit longer as well (speaking literally, not just about the poem), but that was not meant to be.

    ReplyDelete