Friday, April 23, 2010

NaPoWriMo #23 - Unlikely Couples


A girl and her dolls

I think I've owned one or two,
I'm not sure because they never
made much of an impression on me.
I never liked girly things,
like playing dress up or putting on makeup,
unless it was forcing my brother to be my model,
but then it was fun for an entirely different reason.

I never played with them,
they sat in a net on my wall
collecting dust.
I used to pretend they were fishes
being hauled out of the ocean,
their cries of "help me, help me"
muffled by the absence of water
to fill their gills.

They were wholly uninteresting,
but sometimes I could transform them
into fishes or crocodiles or enemy soldiers
and battle them with my ruler-sword
(or gun, if I felt like playing in modern times,
for a change).
My playground was the world next door,
and really, who needs dolls there?




---
Notes: I had no idea what to write for this prompt, so I ended up writing about something I didn't like that I should, rather than the other way around. A twist on the prompt, but still applicable, methinks. X.x

4 comments:

  1. Michelle, sounds like you are already well in touch with writing, well done. I appreciate how you capture both your vivid imagination and sense of total individuality here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what to write about either. Yours turned out really well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl likes playing with guns not dolls.
    Sounds right on the prompt to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the encouraging comments! :)

    ReplyDelete