Monday, April 26, 2010

NaPoWriMo #26 - Getting Scrappy


I'm not my brother's keeper

How many times must I let you break me
before I hold you at arms length?
How many times must I
allow you to hurt me?
Am I bad for wanting
you to just go away?

Don't get confused:
I do still love you.
That's an obligation
of being siblings
But it doesn't mean
I want you near.

You used me up.
My patience
is all gone.
There is
nothing
left.



Free write

Phrase: Am I my brother's keeper?

Oh, the irony. That it was said by Cain, when the Lord asked about his brother, Abel, whom he had killed. Siblings, anger, and the desire to kill all in one neat little package.

Do we deny association to deny guilt?

I don't. I deny association and refuse to be associated with him because I can't handle it. He tears me apart and destroys me. Every time I let him get close, I inevitably walk away bleeding. Lies do a lot more damage than blows, no matter how hard they might be. I've had enough of cowering in the corner and letting him walk all over me.

I am not my brother's keeper. It's not an easy thing to say. There's a part of me that wishes I was strong enough to grab him by the scruff of the neck and drag him back onto the right path. To make him understand how much his lies hurt. It hurts me to admit I can't do it. I feel guilty for deserting him.

It's not that I've given up. Not quite. I just don't want to get hurt anymore. It's like a shield, that I'm reluctant to let down.

I am not my brother's keeper. It's not my responsibility.

I'm not my brother's keeper. I need to learn to let go.

-----
Notes: Earlier on today, I wrote a highly experimental piece, and I'm not sure how well it came out. I'm currently sitting in a lab waiting for a video to render, so I decided to write another. I really enjoyed the phrase prompt, and had started a second freewrite based on a second phrase. Here is the conclusion of that start.

4 comments:

  1. I love the visual organization of this poem. The idea is one I can relate to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's the first time I've ever written poetry in a particular shape. I"m glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.
    The tapering shape emphasizes fading until "there is nothing left."
    Brilliant. Tragic, and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Anonomous. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete