Friday, April 30, 2010

NaPoWriMo #30 - Free Day and Farewell


Burning

Every second of every day
is consumed by burning.
It's what people do,
something we all have in common.
We burn with passion,
anger, desire, regret.
Even our tears cannot
extinguish our burning.

We burn brightly
because we are temporary.
We burn everything we have
from the inside out,
then implode,
like a human super nova.
And then the burning is gone
leaving behind a cold husk
that's nothing like what we were
when we were still burning.



----
Notes: So, I couldn't think of any prompts that I had failed to write to that I wanted to write, so I decided to revisit the elemental prompt and take on a new element. I did water the first time, so I decided to tackle fire this time around.

5 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, Michelle! This is a powerful poem. Be well and hope to see your poems on other poetry blogs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You know, I never realized it before, but I spent so much time crying yesterday (not usual behavior for me), that even my tears burned.

    We don't usually think of burning as good, but this poem redeems the fire in your gut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I look forward to continuing to see more of both of your poetry after NaPoWriMo is over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're truly talented with poetry! :) I like them! And my favorite among your ***s are the one about Mittens, the one about the flower existing, and the one about the name Ash(ley). You told me about Mittens before, so I guess I am a little biased, but the fourth one I like the most is the unusual love connections. <3 beautiful reading. Thank you for sharing, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kuan! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading them! The input is also very much appreciated. On a side note, I'm pretty sure unusual love connections and the one about the flower existing are the same poem (that or I'm just confused, which is distinctly possible, but I'm pretty sure it's the only one with flowers in ***). I had already chosen that one to be included, as I think it's my favorite so far, and you've just reaffirmed that decision. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete