Monday, April 5, 2010

NaPoWriMo #5 - Make Your Poetry Personal

So today's prompt was to personify our poetry and give it a name.... It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after I came up with a name.


Poetry

You are Ash,
short for Ashley,
the name I was almost given.
A part of me,
and yet completely separate.

You are Ash,
like what remains
after hurt and anger
burn through my body
and are extinguished by tears.

You are Ash,
the black chalky substance
I smear into words on the page:
imperfect, smudged,
yet beautiful in your honesty.

8 comments:

  1. I really like the last stanza "the black chalky substance I smear.." Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Ashley to the ash of hurt and words. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linda and Only Footprints! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! I love the last stanza!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. great response to today's day 5 prompt... reading the posts have been so very interesting to see who we are.. especially like "...A part of me,and yet completely separate...." file and forget

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, flaubert and pieceofpie. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    @pieceofpie - I agree with you, today's prompt was really interesting, because it shows how different people relate to poetry in totally different ways, which I think is really fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost cried at the name "Ash" being given to poetry...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Kristen! I'm so glad you liked the name choice! :)

    ReplyDelete