Saturday, April 24, 2010

NaPoWriMo #24 - Find a Phrase


the leopard

i wonder sometimes
how it felt to be trapped
trapped in his own skin
he could never escape
from his mistakes
from his past
from his spots

he had tattooed them on with ink
in a dusty cellar
before he knew better
before he understood
that they would never come off

or maybe someone else
tattooed them on him
while he was sleeping
maybe he didn't even know

it didnt matter
the world didnt care what happened
She didnt care what happened
he had spots
and that was that

he was stuck on a path
he hadnt chosen
and there was no way
to go back

he was a prisoner
in his own skin





Freewrite

Phrase: A leopard cannot change its spots.

This English proverb originated from the Bible, in the chapter of Jeremiah. It talks about how a sinner is no more capable of changing his ways than a leopard is capable of changing his spots. Are we all fated to be stuck? Stuck on some path, that we choose when we're young, before we know better? Is it really true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

A leopard cannot change its spots. No matter how hard he tries, he'll always be spotty and dirty and not good enough. I think leopards are beautiful, even if no one else does. Why would they ever WANT to change their spots?

Sometimes I think that beauty is found in the imperfections: the mole on the side of a supermodels face, or your tendency to flush bright red when you're embarrassed. Like watching you turn into a giant, angry tomato.
A leopard cannot change its spots. That's such a sad statement. I remember in Tarzan, when Jane's mother tells Tarzan that he's a spot and Jane is a stripe, and that no matter what Tarzan does, he'll always be a disgraceful spot. Thinking back on it, I guess that this was a reference to this proverb.

So some of us are spots, some of us are stripes and some of us have no pattern at all. I wonder which I am. Probably no pattern what so ever. I'm not chic enough to be a stripe, yet also not outlandish enough to be a spot. I guess I'm kind of boring, really. But that's okay. Like the proverb says, I cannot change what I am. Nor do I want to.

2 comments:

  1. I love the ambiguity of whether 'he' is human or feline. The second stanza is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Катя! It was a lot of fun to write!

    ReplyDelete