Saturday, April 10, 2010

NaPoWriMo #10 - Celebrate!

The last two prompts have been really hard for me, and I haven't been in an especially poetic mood, so I hope this came out okay.


21

I'm an adult now
in the eyes of everyone.
The government finally
acknowledges my independence.
There is nothing I can't do,
no rights left to gain,
no barriers left to cross.

It seems kind of sad.
Something so cherished,
so anticipated,
passed almost uneventfully.
No fireworks,
no dancing in the streets,
just a quiet admission of age
on a day not so unlike
every other day.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I made you feel sad! After rereading it, I guess it is pretty depressing. I guess I wasn't in a very celebration-y mood when I wrote it. Thank you commenting, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. The truth is, birthdays as an adult are less fun than they are as kids. And... ahmmm... when later this year I hit the big 5-0, I expect it won't seem all that fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, adult birthdays are not quite as fun as kid birthdays were. And you're right... you probably won't enjoy turning 50, especially given the nasty card you can expect to get from Uncle Mike. Hopefully it will still be good, though. I'm going to try to make the trip home (depending on what day of the week it is). 50 is an important birthday. It's not everyday you turn half-a-century old, lol! Sorry, I couldn't resist poking fun at you, but it's just because I love you! :) Thanks, Dad!

    ReplyDelete