Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Auction

Why should we value an oil portrait
painted of a stranger by a stranger?
Or an exotic tamed monkey?
What use could there possibly be
in the fibula of a long-dead saint?
Why do we dress up in austere clothing
and march in pairs into distinguished halls
to wave bills about like fans?
Such a bizarre, barbaric ritual.

"Starting bidding for the nude cupid statue
at ten thousand dollars."
"Ten thousand!"
"Ten thousand from the gentleman
in the garish sport coat.
Do I have fifteen thousand?"
"Fifteen thousand!"
"Yes, fifteen thousand from the veiled lady
with the diamond ring and pearl earrings.
Do I have twenty thousand?"
"Twenty thousand!"
"Twenty thousand from the woman
with the sapphire brooch.
Do I have twenty-five thousand?
Going once, going twice....
SOLD, to the woman with the sapphire brooch."


----
Note: Today's prompt was: "List ten items that you would buy at an auction, or tag sale. Write a poem including those items. You may chose to title your poem, "Things Found At An Auction". Variation, have someone else create a list for you." Not my favorite, so far. I'm really not a fan of prompts that ask me to use lists of items in my poem. I think they're just awkward. Oh well. I did the best I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment